Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Trust Your Heart

The air was frigid. It was one of the coldest days so far this winter. As we got closer to the stop light, we saw two gentlemen standing by the curb, the wind chill literally taking their breath away. A piece of cardboard, cut from a box, had writing on it, scrawled with a black magic marker. The light turned red.

With my car slowly rolling to a stop, I was able to make out the words “Please, we need money for bus tickets,” and “God bless you”.

The driver in the car ahead of me opened his window and handed them money.

In an instant, I turned and grabbed for my purse. My thick, glove-covered hands pulled a ten dollar bill out of my wallet. By now the light had turned green. I glanced in my rear view mirror and could see about four cars behind me. Tugging on the window switch, it made its way down. At the same time, I slowly pulled ahead and thrust the ten dollar bill out of the window as my car neared one of the gentlemen.

He took the money and said “God bless you ma’am”. I nodded to him and drove off.

As we rounded the corner, Mickey turned to me and said, “Didn’t that feel good?” I agreed with her. It felt really good.

I don’t know how many of the subsequent cars behind me followed suit, but I know at least one did. I don’t know if these gentlemen really needed bus tickets or not, but I didn’t care.

Then turning back to Mickey I said, “It doesn’t really matter what they wanted the money for. What matters is that we trusted our heart.”

5 comments:

Pamela said...

That is a time when I just wish I had the money to say: "hop in, I'll take you to the bus station and buy you a ticket."

I know we aren't supposed to look back at gifts -- but I can't help but wonder if it buys liquor

The Dishes Will Wait said...

You know, I thought the exact same thing. I even told Mickey that our money might go for a 12 pack of beer. But I also told her that I had a good feeling about this - for one thing, it was way too cold to be standing out there unless you really did need a bus ticket.

Anonymous said...

Next time hand them the employment section of the newspaper. Maybe they can't afford it, now they have no reason to read it and get a job.

The Dishes Will Wait said...

Perhaps they were on their way to a new job in a new city? Or needed help getting back on their feet after a stroke of bad luck?

Bitowar farmer said...

My armhair stood on end when I read your post today. I, too, had seen the cardboard sign and with horns blaring behind me I turned the corner coming up from Hwy 53 going towards Sam's Club. I couldn't get back to them, so went on my way.

After my shopping I saw them in the Kohls area and drove through the parking lot and handed them a handful of $$ones$$ and received the same smile and "God Bless You". I was of the same belief that they would not be standing out there with a dufflebag in the cutting wind if they didn't actually NEED the $$$$.

Great minds DO run in the same channel huh? Luv, A.J.