Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Muddy Footprints

“Make sure you tell Grandpa he doesn’t have to catch a turkey this year, because we have one in our freezer,” Chrissy says to me as we talk about what we like best about Thanksgiving.

Chrissy and Kaitlyn both agreed they like the turkey the best. And for the record, the ones I bake come from the grocery store.

The housecleaning is done as good as it will be this year. There are a few doors that will be shut - to hide the stray boxes leftover from the kitchen remodel that I haven’t the gumption to deal with.

More importantly, tonight I am relaxing with my little sweeties – savoring my Tuesday night with them while their mom is at class. We were sandwich artists tonight, the three of us up at the counter building ourselves each our own classic. After supper we got out our pencils and paper and wrote letters to Santa. After homework is done and we read a book or two, I’ll tuck them into their beds, listen to their prayers, and kiss them goodnight – sending them off to dream their sweet little dreams of Barbie houses, play makeup and Nintendo DS games.

While the house is quiet I think of all of us fretting to get everything on our lists done in time for Thanksgiving. I think of all the floors that are being scrubbed and vacuumed, and furniture being dusted. I think of all the trips to the grocery store for the special ingredients.

We clean and cook with love in our hearts for those we love the most.

And after the day is over, in much less time than it took to prepare, there will be muddy footprints on our freshly scrubbed floor, spilled gravy on the tablecloth, and half-full (or half-empty, depending on how you look at it) glasses of wine or punch scattered about the house. There will be loads of dishes to be washed and leftovers galore, jam-packed into the frig.

As you crash on the sofa after everyone is gone, let the muddy footprints be a sign that you have a family that loves you and loves to spend time with you.

I thank God for all the muddy footprints in my life.

This post was requested by a friend - who needed some inspiration as she gets ready for Thanksgiving. Enjoy!

No comments: