Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Revelation of Sorts

This past Wednesday, Ash Wednesday - marked the beginning of the Lenten Season in the Christian church. I have never been on board one hundred percent with some of the traditions and symbolisms found in my church, but instead, choose to worship in my own personal way – quietly and by myself.

But as the parishioners made their pilgrimage to the front of the church on Ash Wednesday to have ashes traced onto their foreheads in the formation of a cross, I couldn’t help but notice something very special.

In front of me and behind me, no longer did anyone differ by the color of their hair. No longer did anyone differ by the color of their skin or other features of their face. No longer did anyone differ by the clothes or jewelry they wore. No longer were there people of different occupations, different intelligence, and different opinions. No longer were there men, women and children filling the pews.

As I gazed out across the people before me all I saw was crosses – made with the ashes of this very special Wednesday in our Christian faith.

Behind the crosses I saw people, myself included, humbled, and filled with the desire to become closer to God and to share in the promise of God.

Amidst all this symbolism I had a revelation of sorts, and feel I have gained an understanding into one of the most revered traditions celebrated by Christians over the world.

Thank you, Lord.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

I don't think I've lived a sheltered life -- but for some reason I'd not been anywhere that people had ash on their foreheads. (The church I attend doesn't do it)

Anyway - about 3 years ago at work someone walked in and I was all ready to get a tissue out and clean the dirt of the face. I was so embarrassed.

I am sure that looking in the mirror and seeing that is a good way to have your thoughts return to the day.