Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Best Mother's Day Gifts

Toast. I’m already awake but I lie in bed for just a while yet. I hear the slamming of the bread drawer, the sliding of the kitchen chair across the floor, and the click of the toaster as she pushes the lever down. The microwave is humming, most likely bringing a cold cup of water to warmth - just enough to dissolve the instant coffee crystals. I sit upright in bed and perch my head on the mounds of pillows. I look forward to this every year – and as Mickey gets just a little bit older, she adorns the tray with a few more fun things. I might get jelly on the toast this year, or maybe a small hand-picked bouquet of whatever flowers she can find outside – dandelions, violets, or maybe a tulip. I most likely will get a half-dozen “coupons” for free hugs and kisses, and maybe even one for a break from doing the dishes, and several “I love you"s. The youngest child, oh so special.

The bargain shopper. He thoughtfully picked out a pair of flowered garden gloves for me, added a bag of malted milk balls to his cart, and then at the last minute, waiting in the checkout line he tossed in a roll of duct tape just to make sure he had a decent sized gift. A couple years later he brought me a nice hanging geranium, boasting that he got it on clearance for $8.00, because he bought it on Mother’s Day morning. The middle child, oh so special.

Just hugs. A hug from his big, grown-up arms,laced with the gleam of love in his eyes, is plenty for me and always has been. His wife adds her personal touch with a beautiful card, signed by both of them – and the granddaughters too. The oldest child, oh so special.

Each of my children show their love for their mother in very different ways, and each of these are the best Mother’s Day gifts ever – because they all come from the heart, with love and devotion, and I truly cherish each one. I have everything I need.

1 comment:

Chrsity said...

This reminds me of the days when Ashley would bring me breakfast in bed. The look on her face to see my response was the best. And I had to eat everything on the plate,or she would feel bad. Cold eggs and all!